Home Insurance in Delaware
If you invest in something significant like your home, insurance must be part of the equation. Home insurance protects your home and assets and also protects you and your loved ones when liability claims knock on your door.
Thinking about investing in home insurance in Delaware? Please get in touch with Blue Hen Insurance. But before then, here is what you need to know about home insurance.
Is home insurance mandatory in Delaware?
No Delaware law requires you to purchase home insurance. But sometimes, it may be mandatory, especially if you bought your home through a mortgage. Your lender will require you to buy at least the basic home insurance to protect your investment.
What are the different home insurance coverage options?
As you would have imagined, home insurance isn’t one-size-fits-all coverage. It’s offered in numerous coverage options to help you choose the options suitable for your needs. A typical home insurance policy includes:
- Dwelling insurance: This coverage protects your dwelling structure against perils like fire, vandalism, and certain natural disasters. However, you have to purchase separate policies for risks like floods and earthquakes.
- Contents coverage: Home insurance covers the assets inside your home against perils like fire, theft, vandalism, and select natural disasters.
- Liability coverage: Home insurance protects you when others accuse you of causing bodily injury or property damage.
- Loss of use: If a peril listed in your home insurance makes your dwelling unlivable, home insurance covers the additional living expenses until your home is repaired.
How often should I update my home insurance?
Home insurance shouldn’t be a “set and forget” thing. At least review it once a year. However, when the below changes happen, talk to your insurer to update your policy.
- Changes in the local building costs
- Welcoming a dangerous pet into your home
- Undertaking significant renovations
- Addition of a swimming pool
Need to learn more about home insurance in Middletown, DE? Please book an appointment with Blue Hen Insurance for more information.